Wednesday, December 8, 2010

my favorite teacher



           It’s not easy being a teacher. As a teacher you must know your student, what they’re learning methods are, and their true aspirations. As a teacher, you must demonstrate your passion, and allow your student to understand that you enjoy teaching them. Also as a teacher you must teach your student that the sky is the limit. My oldest brother has taught me all of the above. A teacher and an older brother share the same responsibilities.
     My older brother, has taught me life’s most important lessons. He’s taught me to speak my mind, and most importantly that I can be anything in the world, there is no such word as “limit” when dealing with your future goals. He is my greatest influence. When I get sad, or discouraged he reminds me that I’m not the only person who feels defeated at times. He has taught me that you can feel discouraged, but never wallow in self-pity. A college search is supposed to be exciting, heartfelt, and heartbreaking? I searched for colleges based on their SAT or ACT score requirements, and if they offered my major. At times it would discourage me to find that my score did not match a certain colleges SAT or ACT requirements. My older brother gave me a light while I was traveling down my dark tunnel of finding my “perfect college”. I remember my brother’s words of encouragement, he told me “scores matter, but they’re not the only thing that an admissions board will look at. Colleges want a well-rounded person not someone who just tests well or who has a 4.0 GPA.” When he told me this I began to approach a new direction in searching for my “perfect college”. I realized that I could get accepted into any school as long as I put all my heart and effort into it. My older brother has continuously guided me to the answer, to all of my questions in a subtle way. He would never give me the full answer; he would simply show me how to find the answer on my own. It’s not easy being a teacher, but my older brother does a great job at balancing being a great teacher, mentor and best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment