Thursday, October 14, 2010

traveling

                                                    Traveling
       Who needs to take time off to travel when you can travel while attending college? I believe everyone needs to gain the experience in traveling outside of their native land. Traveling is an experience that is imperative to encounter, because it illustrates the fact that life is much more than what we have been exposed to in our native lands. However, I do not feel you must take a year off before entering college, or take off work in order to gain this experience.
     Several people are misinformed about the full college experience. During the college years, they offer a “travel abroad program”, which basically allows students of higher learning to go outside of the United States and study “abroad” anywhere. You are not receiving the full college experience unless you travel abroad. It is not necessary to take a whole year off right after high school. If you are a high school student you should enter college, and through your college, study abroad to places from Australia to Africa. Sometimes when people take time off, and explore something more rewarding such as traveling abroad, they will not have any desire to come back. I believe, studying abroad before entering college, or taking time out of work in order to travel, is somewhat of a distraction. This is a distraction, because if you do not attend college the following year of your graduation, then it is somewhat harder to gather all of your high school transcripts up for entrance into a college.
       As for taking off of work in order to travel, it is not a wise decision either. It is not a wise decision, because you will not receive any money while traveling to your destination. Also it can be a burden to your boss, to allow you to take time off in order to fulfill you lifelong dream in traveling. Even if your boss does give you time off, to travel he most likely wouldn’t allow you to take as much time as you would need to explore a foreign land. When traveling, you need a certain amount of time to taste the culture, understand the land, and its people, a simple break would not allow anyone to know all of the above.
        I know that once I graduate from high school, I am going to attend college, and within my college I will travel outside of the United States. Possibly to do charity work, in places that need it most. I would love to visit Spain, Africa, and eventually Alaska. I simply would choose to travel while attending college, because it would be challenging for me to graduate from college, receive a job, and then eventually search for the time to fulfill my lifelong dream of traveling. It seems like such an inconvenience to take a small portion of my time out of my job to travel whereas, I could simply travel abroad through my college, and that way I would have up to six months to study, experience the culture, and food of a foreign land.

1 comment: