Wednesday, October 27, 2010

personal statement

Life is the illness, art is the medicine. Art has helped me survive life’s most harsh moments from failing
my first drivers test, to getting my first, second, and third driving ticket. When I was younger I never
understood how to express myself or to release the anger that was building inside me. When life
knocked me down, I would cry, and allowed the frustration to be bottled up. In my darkest hours art
became my outlet. I painted, drew, and took pictures of images that expressed what I was feeling. I
learned that if I needed comfort or relief, art was my permanent release. Art reminded me who I was
when I didn’t understand who I was becoming. It didn’t matter how big my problems were, art was, and
is my personal cure. Creating art for the rest of my life is my dream and, when you have a strong dream
you have no option except to chase it. Whenever I feel as if I cannot push myself any farther, or do any
better, art hears my soulful cries, and wipes away my tears. Art is forever evolving never causing
boredom within its expanding boundaries. Life can bruise our innocent souls, and knock us down just in
the midst of our breakthroughs, but art is there to nurture us back to life’s battle field. Art truly is the
medicine to our diseased filled lives. Art gives us the chance to express what we suppress; the moment
of justice is met with art. Before the introduction of this new found medication, called art, I was
somewhat of a quitter. Everything in my life that I began, I quit, when things became challenging, or
didnt captivate my imagination long enough I would quit the task at hand. I have always been very
athletic, Ive dabbled in several different athletic activities. When I was younger I was truly destined to
be a basketball player, so I thought, I was only eight years old when I discovered I could dribble all my
frustrations away. The older I grew the more intense the sport became, the players became more
serious, and more aggressive. I knew all the basic skills to basketball, yet basketball simply wasn’t able
to confine me. Next I fell in love with Tae Kwon Do, which is the most popular form of martial arts in
Japan. I was superb in Tae Kwon Do, I advanced to the next colored belt one after another. As soon as
I earned my half red and black belt the feeling of boredom began to creep upon me once again. Tae
Kwon Do was no longer exotic or different, it was now repetitive. I quit Tae Kwon Do before I became a
black belt, and the only reason I had for quitting was illogical, I was becoming bored. What I didn’t
understand at the time was, even though things become boring, or difficult, it should never give me the
right to quit, because there will be things that I don’t want to do, but I will have to do. I’ve quit several
things however the only thing I have never given up on, is art, and I never will. My hunger for art will not
be fed, nor satisfied with any other college, it would only amount to its fullest potential at Columbia
College Chicago. I believe, everyone reaches a certain stage in their life, when they understand its
time for them to change, it’s time for them to begin something new. The college search is an imperative
moment. The college that a prospective student of higher learning chooses to attend says a lot about
who they are, and who they will become. I, for one, searched long and hard, before finding the school I
truly knew I wanted to attend. After reading the history and majors Columbia offered, I know Columbia is
where I belong. No other school will adhere to my creative side like Columbia will. Columbia is my new
beginning. It is for this reason, and having a strong passion that I know I would be the best asset for
Columbia College Chicago. Several colleges question the student as to what they can bring to their
particular college, and I know I can bring a positive attitude, an even wider range of creativity along with
my drive and focused personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment