Sunday, November 28, 2010

allowance

          I believe children from eleven to seventeen should receive an allowance. Receiving an allowance teaches children of all ages to become financially responsible. Receiving an allowance also  teaches children at young age, how to save their money for the things that they really want. Although children are still receiving money from their parents, when the money is placed in the child’s hand, a certain sense of real independence is achieved. Children will receive the sense that they are actually working at a real job when they are compensated.
    Receiving an allowance is an imperative factor for becoming well acquainted with life’s most important factor, independence. Not all children receive an allowance, however I believe in order to understand how to deal with money you must be exposed to it at an early age. Unfortunately I believe several parents give children an allowance simply for the fact of them having money in their pocket to spend. Receiving allowances should be earned through manual labor. Children should be assigned a chore list, and should receive an allowance. Most children are assigned chores such as, washing the dishes, drying the dishes, cleaning their room, mopping the floors, vacuuming the floors, feeding the dogs, cleaning the kitchen counters, and cleaning the stove. There are several different ways of earning money for the chores assigned to children. However how much money should a child receive for doing chores? I believe it depends on how many chores the child is carrying, and also how old they are. Younger children should not be paid as much as older children, because they don’t necessarily know what to do with ten or twenty dollars, or they may spend all their money on one item. If the child is performing only one chore I believe they only deserve five dollars. If a child is performing two chores weekly they should receive ten dollars. Last but not least if a child is performing three or more chores they should receive twenty dollars. I believe that children who do not perform chores should not receive any type of allowance. Although this does teach a child to be responsible, if they do not have to work for the money then they will take advantage of the money. Either way, if a child receives an allowance they are being taught to be money wise, and financially responsible.
    I have been receiving an allowance since I was in the fifth grade. I started off simply be wiping down the counters, and I was paid three dollars. When I was younger three dollars was a lot, however as I grew older, I took on more chores, and began earning more money. When I was in seventh grade I unloaded the dishwasher while my older brother loaded the dishwasher, and I was paid ten dollars. Last but not least when I began high school, I was use to unloading and loading the dishwasher, however instead of earning more money, I continued to receive the ten dollars, that I was earning when I was only unloading the dishwasher. Earning an allowance has taught me to not only be financially responsible, but has also made me more aware, and selective when it comes to purchasing my desired items.

No comments:

Post a Comment